Tournament Suggestions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by charlie_boi, Dec 8, 2017.

1. charlie_boi

charlie_boi Admin Staff Member Manager

Hey guys, with tournaments becoming more frequent and more popular I had a couple of suggestions I wanted to drop. Maybe get some feedback and nudge the higher-ups about.

Tournament Sign-ups:

Change the way signing up for tournaments works. The biggest complaint I hear about tournaments is people outside of the timezone the sign up was posted in never had a chance to join because it was full within 20m.

My thoughts on this are to break the sign up into intervals with a number of slots being reserved for each. Every 4h the sign ups would open again and would remain open until those reserved slots have been claimed. This would go on for a 24h period of time giving everyone a chance to sign up. This also gives people who missed signing up because the previous slots filled up too quickly a second chance at grabbing a slot.

More Tournament Formats:
    I really enjoy that the current tournament is locked to only generation three Pokemon, so lets roll with that for a second. When people think tournament formats most peoples minds jump to Smogon tiers like UU, LittleCup, Uber, AnythingGoes, etc. Which is great, by all means I would love to see some of those implemented(A Legend rank only, Uber/AG tier tournament with legends allowed sounds fun). But, what would Pokefind be without adding its own spin on things? I feel that we could do a lot with tournament formats.

• Non-rank tournament - Self explanatory, this would be for people without ranks only. A complaint I hear often is that the tournaments have been too p2w and that only the ranks can get far because we have access to all sorts of stuff they don't, and I agree to an extent. Possible exclusive rewards for this could be a chance at winning a rank as first prize(Because really, whats the harm in giving out a rank every now and then?)
    • Region locked tournaments - Like the current tournament I would like to see more tournaments where only certain generations are allowed.
    • Smogon tiers - Like I mentioned about, Smogon tiered tournaments would be great, we could easily do any of them, personally I think LittleCup sounds really fun for Pokefind. As would Anything Goes.
    • Monotype - Technically a Smogon tier as well but one that existed before Smogon did so I'm separating it. This is by far my favorite tournament type, it forces people to really think about their team and attempt to cover the weaknesses of a single type of Pokemon. Monotype format requires all Pokemon on a persons team to share a common type. IE all of your Pokemon must be a water type or part water type. Monotype rules can be found here.

Tournament Rewards:

Lets talk rewards, because why else have you joined a virtual tournament? The eggs, money, tokens, and destiny knot are all great rewards. But I would love some variety in the item reward. Either a choice between a handful of rare items or have the item reward depend on how large the tournament is. Smaller tournaments could have a lesser reward and larger ones would of course have a better one. Some items to consider for this could be - Destiny Knot, Bottle Cap, Gold Bottle Cap, Master Balls, Rare Candies, special cosmetic items, Rare Pokeballs, sought after items such as Eviolite , or even rare/valued Pokemon that have been given some of their event only moves or their hidden abilities.

Tournament Frequency:
    Not really a suggestion, more so just a thought on the matter.​
    I think the frequency at which tournaments have happened is at a good pace, having one for major holidays or new generation releases is great. But if more formats were to be introduced or rewards based on sizes I feel like more would need to be held, perhaps 4 large "planned" ones that would be seasonal, spring, summer, fall, winter that could coincide with holidays in those seasons. With smaller ones being scattered throughout the year whenever staff felt up to it or whenever something new is released that merits having one.

ToastyTunes likes this.
  2. ShootingFor3

ShootingFor3 Manager / Jedi Master Staff Member Manager Staff Manager Support Manager

Got some great ideas in there :eek:

3. Tornadofirewave

Tornadofirewave New Member

I love the idea of Smogon and Monotype, but the exact generation one seems a little challenging, but amazing ideas.

4. ToastyTunes

ToastyTunes ToastyTunes

That's some detailed work right there! :clap:

5. Voultronix

Voultronix Crazy Active Member

Some really good ideas but smogon is a bit too extreme to introduce to pokefind as many players are casual or just young kids. I like the idea of being able to have a selection of prizes if you actually win.

6. charlie_boi

charlie_boi Admin Staff Member Manager

While I sort of agree, at the same time 90% of smogon tiers are no harder to understand then the current "You can only use gen 3 Pokemon" tournament. Plus, most casual players stand no chance in any tournament anyways so I don't feel they need to be catered to that much.

7. Voultronix

Voultronix Crazy Active Member

Haha true but was expecting one of the champions to be more modest. I like smogon tiers because it limits sweaty/cheap play but at the same time there aren' that many Pokemon